150 years of our History
Piana Rotaliana, which Cesare Battisti referred to as the most beautiful vineyard in Europe, is set in the heart of the Trentino region’s most charming scenery; characterized by a set of valleys, mountains and hills. Right here, in Mezzocorona, you will find our winery, one of the oldest in Trentino, which was established in 1863.
Today the winery is managed by our family: Marco Donati, Emanuela (his wife) and Elisabetta (their daughter).
We are engaged to let everybody know the Trentino-type autochthonous varietal heritage and at the same time we try to experiment energizing meetings with new vines. It is due to passion that we strive to go on with our familiar tradition and we are stimulated to increase and enhance day after day. Because it is above all from passion that you can obtain the best results and accordingly the noblest wines.
The family firm is considered as reference point of the oenologic Trentino tradition, so far committed to give value to a quality vine heritage. A vine to which Donati’s family is historically bound is the Teroldego, autochthonous vine useful to produce the legendary “Teroldego Dragon’s Blood”. For this cru, we select the best grapes coming from even 90 years old vines, planted at that time by great grandfather Marco, who even then was dreaming that with those vines it could one day be possible to produce high quality wines. Today he would be proud of seeing the joy of whom, uncorking the precious bottles, holds the magic of this realized dream.
Our story begins in the far 1863, when Luigi Donati purchased Donati’s maso (farm), together with a 1400 building, belonging to Spaur Earls. The Italian term “maso” means a well bordered all-merged land, traditionally cultivated by a family. The middle tower of the building, together with other three ones in the nearby, was part of a defense system in Mezzocorona. Everything is dominated by medieval castles perched on the mountain, which the dragon’s legend reminds of. What is interesting is that even before Spaur Earls, the farm belonged to Tirolo’s Earls’ cupbearer. At those times the court cupbearer played a role of remarkable importance, comparable to a today’s minister and this shows how even in those days vineyards were considered prestigious, and the wines they produced were a privilege of the most refined tables.
More than 150 grape harvests link our firm to Trentino region. Our precious collection of bottles tells something about our story. In the underground cellars we jealously keep two 1863 bottles and some rare memories witnessing our wine “Culture”.
Producing wine is like travelling from past to present addressing to future. Today Elisabetta represents the sixth generation, and tradition goes on…